Monday, February 28, 2011

On being quiet and gentle

" You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 5 This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands." 1 Peter 3:4-5 NLT

"A gentle and quiet spirit."
"unfading charm of a gentle and peaceful spirit." Amplified
"Gentle and gracious" The Message
"Meek and quiet" KJV

The Lord has been teaching me so much of what it means to be "gentle and quiet."

The world has taught us to be outspoken. To speak your mind. To say what you want.

And especially to women, the idea of being meek and quiet was out with the feminist movement.  Now I'm not saying women shouldn't get the vote but, somehow, biblical femininity has been lost.

We have lost the idea of what it really means to be a woman. The battle of the sexes has blurred the line of what is femininine and what isn't.

In the world a woman can wear what she wants, work where she wants, say what she wants, believe what she wants, is the ruler of her body, love whomever she wants....and it all boils down to pure selfishness, greed and pride.

But that is not what the Lord desires of his beloved women. He did not create us to be hard and harsh, he created us to be soft, gentle...feminine.

Again, I am not saying we don't have a say in this world, nor should we be trampled on or dictated to.

The truth is that the Lord knew all along the power that we as women have and by being gentle, meek and quiet, we are able to use our power for good. For the good of ourselves, the good of our children, husbands, homes, relationships, etc, etc.

A woman who is gentle attracts more attention. People trust her more. Feel more secure around her than a woman who is loud and over the top.

A woman who is humble and meek usually is an encourager, who speaks life and therefore has more friends and better relationships.

As a wife and mother we would be better at creating a heaven in our homes if we practiced being gentle and quiet.

When our husband comes home discouraged and disgruntled from a hard day at work. instead of getting annoyed and frustrated by his attitude, think of how his mood would change if instead you quietly went behind him, wrapped his arms around him, embraced him and said, "I'm so glad you are home."

When your kids are fighting over a turn or a toy, instead of yelling, "take turns" or "if I have to go up there..." you go in and hug them so tight and say "let's all play this game instead."

So much easier said then done! But it's quite the challenge.

I struggle with this. I am much better at the yelling or giving in to the frustration.

But God knows that a quiet and gentle spirit produces a quiet and gentle home. A home of peace. I am the atmosphere of my home and when I am not quiet nor gentle, my home is neither as well.

So this week I am going to put all my effort into this.

"Father thank you so much for your word. Thank you for your gentle spirit that is so merciful and always guides me in the direction that I need to go. Father help me this week and always to become quiet and gentle. Help me to moderate the peace in my home. Help me to know when and how to speak. And when I do speak, help me to know the words to use, that they may be honey father to all who hear them. In your precious name, amen. "

Today I am linking up.

No comments:

Get the Beauty and the Crazy in your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner