Tuesday, April 28, 2009

So Big...

"Ok buddy, the baby is asleep and now it's time for your nap," I said as I pulled his pull up on and tossed him 3 of the 12 stuffed animals that invade his bed each day.

"I don't wanna take a nap," he replied. This is the mantra of the hour.

"You have to take a nap so your body can rest and you can grow big and strong."

"I am big...see..." he says as he throws off his blanket, stands up on the bed and lifts his head as high as he can.

"You are very big, but if you want to be as big and strong as Daddy you have to take a nap."

I then begin to cover him oncemore, tucking him in and handing him puppy, who he immedeately nuzzles. His eyes are droopy and he is fighting the desire to sleep. He then looks at me and in a tired whisper says, " Mommy, I don't think so."

"You don't think what baby?"

"I don't think I wanna be big."

"Why not?" I reply.

"I just don't wanna be big, neber, neber."

He starts to close his heavy eyelids and I kiss his cheek and hug him and say, "I think that's a great idea. You don't have to be big if you don't want to."

"Ok mom."

I smile to myself as I softly shut his door, pick up a few toys in the playroom and go downstairs when halfway down the stairs I hear...

"MOOMMMY!!!"

I hear footsteps running and the door crack open.

"Mom," he calls out again as I come up the stairs.

"What baby?"

"I changed my mind. I do wanna be big."

I smile and reply, "Ok buddy, now go back to bed and stay there."

"Ok mom...but can you cober me 'cause I don't know how."


Oh Lord, I want my babies to stay small. I don't want them to get any bigger. I want him to be three forever. To be sweet and eager to learn and full of life and wonder. I want my baby girl to be a baby as long as possible. It goes too fast Lord. Stop it! Thank you for my blessings and for the time you have given me with them. And Father, cover my babies and our family because only you know how. In your precious name, Amen.

No comments:

Get the Beauty and the Crazy in your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner