Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Thing About Boys - An Introduction to Raising "Boy-Men"


My son came home from football practice the other day and gave me a hug.
He's 8 and all boy.
I teased him and shoved him away and said, "Eww, you stink!" Almost instinctively, he came over and started rubbing his head and chest on me, laughing as I was shrieking and trying to get away.
Boys! Stinky boys!

He comes up to my chin.
He wears a size 3 in shoes. I don't know if that's big...I think it's average...but yet, his feet are huge!
They use to be so small.



He use to be so small.



I was remembering a time when we were sitting and playing and I went over to sit in the rocking chair and he came over and sat in my lap and held me. We rocked and I sang and he said, "Mommy I love this."
It was one of the most precious moments in my life.
They are so many moments...so many I hold dear...and so many I have forgotten.
But that moment...it was beautiful.

The thing about boys...is that they don't stay little.
They sort of evolve into men.
My boy is still "small," and comes up to my chin, but he considers himself a man.

My husband and I have raised him to be a "man."
A strong "boy-man."
My husband takes great purpose in teaching him the ways of a Godly man.
He many times will say to the boy man, "This is what men do," or "a real man is..." kind, protective, loving, gentle, brave.

The way of "man" has been somewhat instinctive. He looks at things differently then my girls do.
His favorite color is red. He likes to break dance. When he laughs, it's with full force and great pleasure.
In the homeschool world, we would call him a "Competent Carl," in other words, a know it all!
He thinks he knows it ALL.
And he is pretty smart.
He understands football!
He is competitive.
Passionate.
He likes to ride his bike, and kill snakes, and go on adventures.
He likes to look out for hawks and burn ants with a magnifying glass.
He loves animals and dinosaurs.

He is sensitive too.
A rule follower.
A loyal friend.
He loves his sisters. He is their protector and he takes that calling in total seriousness.

He is my 'boy-man.'

Our relationship has evolved as well.
And that has not been easy.

His father is his best friend and who he desires to be exactly like.
I thank God for that.

I, am mom. Sometimes mommy.
Who he likes to tease and play with and sometimes kiss.

But sometimes, he doesn't want to kiss me.
I get side hugs most of the time...unless I purposely grab and hug him. Which I do. A lot.
He doesn't come and sit in my lap anymore.
I can't carry all 60 pounds of him anymore.
When I sing to him, he chooses weird songs for me to sing, like the Power Rangers Theme song.

There are tender moments.
Moments when he sits close and I scratch his head.
Moments when he wants me to "soft scratch" his back.
Moments when we lay in bed and he tells me fears and secrets and dreams.

Those are the moments I live for.
Those are the moments that I treasure.
Those are the moments I have to remember when the boy is driving me crazy!

The thing about boys is that they don't stay little.
And one day, I'll come up to his chin.


Every Wednesday for the next 3 weeks I will be posting about Raising "Boy-Men." I will be giving resources on how to Love them, Train them and Protect them. Don't miss a Post!

You are His beloved, 



13 comments:

Cat @ MaryMarthaMama said...

This is so beautiful! My little boys are still so little (3 years old & 8 months old) but already I feel like my babies are growing up so fast! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading more of this series.

Katherines Corner said...

Time moves quickly. I love this post. I have two wonderful grandsons and so much of this post resonates with me.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop ♥

Unknown said...

Yeah!! They grow up into men too fast. A sweet post.

Dawn said...

It is so amazing when those little boys start becoming young men. It is a bit heart breaking and pride-filling, joy infusing and a little bit scary all at the same time. Being a mom to a young man, who will be a Godly man, is quite a calling. I tell my son, often, " You are going to be a great man some day." I want him to believe me, and believe in himself, but mostly.. believe what God says about him. :) I look forward to reading your series.
Blessings,
Dawn

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

He sounds wonderful, Andrea. Enjoy your son! Time does move fast while we're busy with dishes and laundry. My son is fourteen, wears a size 13 men's shoe, and is at least 6'2. I cannot reach to measure him!

There comes a time, when they get to your height, that they suddenly want to put their arm around you all the time. That's so they can show how tall they are!

Enjoy every stage dearie!

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
Laura

Andrea said...

Cat, it goes by too fast!!! Catherine thank you for reading!

Andrea said...

Thank you for reading Judith.

Andrea said...

dawn, it is so wonderful to know there are so many of us that desire o bring up good, godly men!

Andrea said...

Laura, knowing he will be taller than me one day is scary!!! Wy can't they stay small?!? He tells me, mom ill be driving in 8 years!! Yikes!

Helene said...

Although I have girls instead of boys, I have great sympathy for their quick growth. My oldest one is towering above me now!

Elisabeth said...

My boy-men are 3 months, 4, 15 and almost 18... those older 2 are far taller than me. As sweet as those little boy moments are (and they are!)... there is something amazingly beautiful about the love I have from my nearly grown sons. The relationship is changing... now it is almost that he takes care of and protects me... he is such a fine young man and I look forward to getting to know the young woman God will bring him to at some point in the future....

tiffnie said...

Love this blog post. It's so hard for me to imagine by babies growing up. It happens so fast. A great reminder to love them in this season.

SimsLife.co.uk said...

Awww proper tender moments like that are the best! :) x
Sim @ SimsLife.co.uk x

Get the Beauty and the Crazy in your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner